Drinkwell Multi-Tier Pet Water Fountain Review
The Drinkwell Multi-Tier Fountain is another pet water fountain in the Drinkwell range designed to keep your pets well-hydrated and healthy by providing them with a gallon of fresh free-flowing water.
This fountain features an open-air design with two levels from which your pet can drink. They may choose the level at which they feel most comfortable drinking from. Your pets have access to three drinking areas: the top bowl, the bottom bowl and the free-flowing stream.
The three drinking areas plus the open design of the unit makes it easy for multiple pets to comfortably drink from the water dispenser at the same time. It features a flow control valve so that you can adjust the speed at which the water streams out of the cat water fountain, turning it to the left slows the water down and turning it to the right speeds the water up.
The look and design of the unit is simplistic, it’s a plastic grey-colored rectangular box shape that may not be aesthetically pleasing to some but it depends on individual taste. It resembles a miniature version of a drinking trough one may find on a farm.
The entire unit consists of just five components: the bowl, the housing, housing cap, a charcoal filter and pump.
Drinkwell Multi-Tier Pet Water Fountain Features
- 100 ounce water capacity
- Free-falling stream of aerated water
- Receiving ramp reduces noise of streaming water
- Replaceable carbon filter
- Elevated drinking dish for elderly or arthritic pets
- Low voltage submersible pump
- Inline power disconnect
- Flow control valve
- Made from non-toxic BPA-free plastic
- Dishwasher safe
- Product dimensions: 8.5 x 11.9 x 5.9 inches
- For indoor use only
- One year warranty
How the Drinkwell Multi Tier Pet Fountain
In order to get your Drinkwell Multi-Tier Pet Fountain working you have to remove the housing of the unit. Simply hold the sides of the housing and gently squeeze inwards while lifting it up.
Next, you need to insert the filter. Before doing so rinse it under cold water before placing it in the cat fountain. This will remove loose charcoal dust which is not harmful to your pet. The filter should be inserted diagonally on its side into the housing between two slots with the black side of the filter facing the pump. The filter needs to be pushed all the way down.
Then you need to gently replace the housing. The housing locks in place with locking tabs and these need to be aligned so that the housing will lock in place. Simply slide the housing down gently until you hear the tabs lock. It is recommended to place the fountain on a protective water-resistant mat on your floor to protect it from spills.
Finally, pour water directly into both the upper and lower bowls and plug the waterer in after ensuring both your hands and the power cord are dry.
The Pros and Cons of the Drinkwell Multi-Tier Waterer
The major flaws of this unit are its open air design, flimsy material and weak pump and filter.
My Tips for this pet water fountain
- Fill the fountain at the location it will stand to avoid having to carry it once filled which is awkward. Also, since the unit is flimsy the plastic will bend if carried once filled.
- The flimsiness of the unit due to thin plastic makes hand washing better than putting it in the dishwasher as the plastic may fracture and then the unit will leak.
- The top tier is shallow which results in water spillage when pets lap up water vigorously.
- The water level needs to remain above the halfway level or else it gets really loud.
Final Thoughts on this product
The Drinkwell Multi-Tier pet water dispenser does the job it sets out to do which is to entice your pet to drink more water. The sound and the taste of the streaming aerated water will definitely grab your pet’s attention.
The surface of the water is completely exposed to air leaving it more prone to a build-up of dust and hair which will take a toll on the already weak filtration and pump system. This being said, the open nature of the unit is appealing to your pets and they will enjoy drinking from it. The design of the unit resembles sources of water found in nature and will greatly increase your pets overall drinking experience.
I would recommend the Multi-Tier Fountain for:
- multi-pet owners
- small cats and dogs because the unit is too flimsy to withstand larger playful pets
- people who like a more simplistic system design
- people who do not mind the rigorous cleaning routine it requires
- pet owners who are willing to put their pet’s happiness ahead of their own as while the unit will complicate the owner’s life it will certainly provide a playful and enjoyable water drinking experience for the pet.
I would not recommend the Pet Fountain for:
- larger cats and dogs
- people who prefer a peaceful environment
- people who live in a humid environment as this increases the growth of mold or algae which causes sliminess
- people who live in areas with hard water as the limescale build-up will affect the pump
- elderly or handicapped pet owners as the unit is difficult to carry and clean
- people who live in dusty environments as the open design of the fountain easily catches dust and debris.