Drinkwell Pet Water Fountain Review
If you’re looking for a small and simple water fountain for your pets you should consider the Drinkwell Original Pet Fountain which is manufactured by Petsafe.
Cats and dogs love drinking from sinks and toilet bowls. The design of this fountain mimics a sink luring your animal to drink.
It’s the second cheapest water feeder amongst Drinkwell’s water fountains and provides a fresh free-flowing stream of water ensuring that your pets stay well-hydrated. This unit is small and therefore most suitable for small cats and dogs. It contains a filter to keep the water free of contamination. The fountain of water falls onto a plastic mound reducing the sound of the water as it streams into the bowl below. The sound and sight of the free-flowing water encourages your pet to drink thereby ensuring their health and preventing kidney disease.
The fountain is secured to the ground with rubber feet making it difficult for small pets to knock it over. It comes with a filter to remove impurities and you can adjust the flow of water.
Drinkwell Pet Water Fountain Features
- Fresh stream of water
- 1.5 liter water capacity
- Comes with a carbon filter
- Made of BPA-free plastic
- Adjustable knob to change speed of streaming water
- Ramp reduces noise of falling water
- Dishwasher safe
- 6ft long power cord
- Low voltage power supply
- Product dimensions: 9.13 x 11.38 x 7 inches
- One year warranty
Pros and Cons of the Pet Water Fountain
Pet Water Fountain Tips
- The brushes that come with the Drinkwell cleaning kit are the best for cleaning it. This kit has to be purchased separately.
- Use a toothbrush to clean hard-to-reach places.
- Don’t let the water level drop too low to extend the life of the pump.
- Use the Drinkwell brushes to clean it as they fit the product best.
- This device can be used as a birdbath.
- Clean the fountain more than once a week to keep the water clean.
- Place the fountain well away from the food dish so as not to tempt pets to wet their dry food.
- Placing the fountain on a mat reduces the noise and protects the floor from water leakages and spills. You could also turn the filter off at night to reduce noise.
- Beware of imitation Drinkwell products.
I recommend the Drinkwell Pet Fountain for:
- 1 to 2 cats or one small dog;
- pet owners who enjoy weekends away;
- vigilant pet owners who will closely monitor water levels and don’t mind the maintenance involved;
- pets that drink water outdoors or in the basement.
I do not recommend the Drinkwell for:
- pet owners who are not good at assembling and reassembling devices as this device will leak and the motor may increase noise if parts are not perfectly refitted;
- pet owners who are handicapped, frail or elderly as the unit is heavy;
- use inside the home due to noise level and leaking issues;
- pet owners who dislike noise,
- nervous pets,
- long-term use.
Here is the original commercial for the Petsafe Drinkwell water dispenser
My Final Thoughts on the system
The Petsafe Drinkwell Pet Fountain provides a short-term solution for pet owners looking to provide their smaller pets with clean free-flowing water. If you buy the extra reservoir you can leave the fountain for up to five days before refilling, which is great for pet owners who enjoy long weekends away. It doesn’t take up much space so is suitable for smaller living quarters or cluttered homes.
On the down side the defective design means that one has to be put up with a difficult cleaning routine and a noisy device which can become an issue. The water that lies in the bowl gets recirculated and if any bits of hair or food drops into the water it ends up clogging the pump. It is hit-and-miss as you may end up with a defective unit, so I recommend trying to gleam any problems early on to make use of the 30 day return period if you need to.
Although the Drinkwell water Fountain is one of the cheapest in its range, the price adds up as you do need to buy the cleaning kit and the optional reservoir is recommended as the water capacity is not enough. It’s not the cheapest pet water feeder out there and seems to be quite problematic so overall is not worth the money or hassle.