Drinkwell Platinum Fountain Review
As the name suggests, the Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain is designed to help your pets “drink well” and keep healthy by maintaining a good level of hydration thereby prevention kidney disease.
Modelled on the older version, the Drinkwell Original Pet Fountain, the Platinum version attempts to iron out problems presented by the first model. The remodeled water fountain has a new sleek modern design, which is aesthetically pleasing.
Made from BPA-free plastic and featuring an activated-carbon filter plus pre-filter it aims to protect your pets from harmful contaminants. The activated-carbon filter utilizes carbonized coconut shells which are then activated by re-adding oxygen to them. They improve the quality and taste of your pets drinking water while simultaneously removing bacteria and bad odors.
This unit has a submersible pump to reduce noise as well as a flow control knob to change the flow of the water. The slower the flow the less noise it makes. The reservoir attached to the unit is easy to remove and transparent so that you can monitor the water level. It holds 1.3 gallons of water which is enough to keep one large cat hydrated for about a week and one small cat hydrated for up to a month!
If you are not sure how much water your pet needs to stay healthy you can calculate it using their body weight. Cats need about 70ml of water per kg of bodyweight while dogs need about 50-60ml of water per kg of bodyweight. This being said, you should note that pets who are on a dry-food diet will need to drink more water than those who aren’t.
The snap-on lid is not easy for your pet to knock off and the rubber feet at the bottom of the unit keeps it in place to prevent sliding and to ensures that your pet will not be able to push the unit around. It also has a wide base also helps keep the unit sturdy and prevents it from toppling over.
Drinkwell Platinum Fountain Features
- Patented 5 inch free-flowing stream of water
- Holds 1.3 gallons of water (about 5 liters)
- Replaceable activated-carbon filter keeps water clean
- Comes with a pre-filter
- Submersible pump reduces noise level
- Receiving ramp reduces noise of falling water
- Snap-on lid stays secure
- Spout design prevents splashing and noise
- 6 ft. long power cord that can be tucked away
- BPA-free durable plastic
- Dishwasher safe (except pump and motor)
- Flow-control knob
- Built-in detachable transparent reservoir to monitor water level
- Low voltage power supply
- Inline-plug connection for easy removal
- Rubber feet to secure to surfaces
- Product dimensions: 10.63 x 15.88 x 10.5 in
- For indoor use only
- One year warranty
The Pros and Cons Drinkwell Platinum Water Fountain
My Tips on the Drinkwell Platinum
- Disassemble the unit completely once a week and clean thoroughly to increase the lifespan of the unit. It is recommended that when the pump stops spinning you should submerge it in detergent and water for a few hours.
- The unit needs to be handled gently to prevent damage. For example, when reassembling do not force the front cover over the pump.
- Adding avocado seeds to the water prevents slime and has an antibacterial function.
- Placing the unit on a soft mat will reduce the noise that it makes.
My Conclusion of the Drinkwell
The Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain attempts to solve the issues presented by the Drinkwell Original Pet Fountain, a new and improved version of sorts. The patented 5 inch free-flowing water stream is definitely more appealing to your pet than stagnant water sitting in a bowl, therefore the fountain does the job of encouraging your pet to drink more water.
It requires regular cleaning as most units with pumps do. Even with good care the motor will need to be replaced every three to four years as per the manufacturer. If you are willing to give the Drinkwell Platinum the tender loving care it needs to keep running then it could very well be a really good choice for you and your pets.
I would recommend the Drinkwell Platinum for:
- its stylish design
- multi-cat households and small dogs
- pets on a dry-food diet as they need to drink more water
- pet owners who are good with gadgets as this needs to be disassembled and reassembled regularly which can be tricky.
I would not recommend this system for:
- elderly or handicapped pet owners as the reservoir cannot stand on its own and has to be held up while refilling
- very busy people as it requires regular monitoring and cleaning
- big dogs
- nervous pets
- pet owners who live in a dusty environment
- pet owners who live in areas with hard water as the unit already takes a while to clean and added limescale build up would lengthen the cleaning time even more meanwhile leaving your cat without a fountain
- people who prefer a quiet environment.
- people who want to simplify their lives.