SmartScoop Automatic Litter Box Review
See Special Price
We will be covering all the essential key features of the Smart Scoop Automatic Litter Box and what it has to offer you and your cat.
SmartScoop Litter Box description:
The unit is a fully automated rake operated cat trey solution, it takes care of all the messy tasks of cleaning your cats litter pan with out ever having to manually scoop your cats litter tray again.
The general design of this particular unit is very similar to a classic cat trey, being the only difference would be the automatic rake which is located on one the end of the litter box where the trash receptacle is located.
The SmartScoop features a roomy litter area (Big box 18.25″ W X 7.5″ H inches, the regular box 25.5 x 16.8 x 7.5 inches) for your cat to comfortably do their business with out any difficulty or obstruction. With that being said the transition from a classic manual sand pan to the SC cat pan is incredibly easy and your cat and they won’t even recognise the difference from their original cat box to their new litter container.
The waste receptacle can handle up to a week of waste from 1 cat, the receptacle houses an easy to install waste bag which is very simple to install and replace with either the refillable SmartScoop biodegradable bags or you could use any domestic sized garbage bag.
The more cats you own the more frequently you would have to change the waste bag, however the SmartScoop is built to handle multiple cats at different times and offers a smart sensor system which detects your cats use of the waste receptacle .
The construction of the Smart Scoop is very solid and easy to assemble design, with out any worries or complicated manuals to follow, the manufacturer provides an easy to read guide for actions of assembly and ‘plug and play operation.
The SS also comes with a ramp for any cats who lack normal mobility
The ramp also serves the purpose of eliminating litter trailing from your cats paws into the household.
Smart Scoop Features
- SmartScoop Unit dimensions 14”W x 16” D
- The cleaning process is completely auto pilot and hands free of any manual scooping, apart from emptying the trash receptacle.
- Easy to empty the waste via the waste receptacle bags.
- Works with all sorts of clumping kitty litter brands.
- Carbon filter prevents any smelly odors lingering through out the house hold.
- Easy to assemble design.
- Includes a six month generous supply of 6 carbon filters and 24 BIO degradable waste bags.
- Anti litter trailing ramp and mat.
- Handles multiple cats
- 1 Year warranty
How does the Smart Scoop work?
After the initial use of the litter container, the Smart Scoop utilises a delay time of 15 minutes before the self cleaning process is engaged for cleaning.
The 15 minute delay enables the clumping litter to form clumps from any waste left by your cat, the 15 minute delay also plays an important part in keeping your cat safe from re-entering the litter box during the delay or cleaning process. The Smart Scoop self cleaning litter system is designed in such a way that if your cat does re-enter the cat box during the delay or cleaning cycle the unit will automatically kill the operation and reset its delay timer for the next 15 minute cycle once your cat has left the litter trey area.
The litter rake is then engaged to scoop up the waste clumps, once the rake reaches to the end of the other side of the waste box, in an upward motion the rake scoops all the litter caught in the rake into the waste container.
The rake then returns to its stationary position while simultaneously smoothing out the litter area for the next use.
SmartScoop Demonstration Video
User tips and tricks
- It is very important to fill the litter trey up with litter to the right depth, if this requirement is not followed the cleaning cycle may induce some issues in scraping all the waste.
- It’s also recommended by me and other users to place the SmartScoop on a tiled or hard wood floor along with a lining of paper/newspaper underneath the litter box as litter may get kicked out of the litter tray, To eliminate this from happening with the SmartScoop has a cover that can be added to the unit to combat this small issue.
- It’s very important to use clumping litter as this unit wont work with crystals.
- Its a good idea to get your self a kitty litter mat to keep the area around the litter box cleaner
How to set up the SmartScoop Automatic Litter Box?
The SmartScoop automatic litter box is one of the easiest litter pans to assemble, there is no screws to screw in, all the necessary parts just snap into place with out needing any experience with tools or being a ‘handyman/woman’.
Noise: It is important to know that the noise has been significantly minimised in comparison to the Littermaid, it’s significantly more quieter then the Litter Maid and works more efficiently.
There were many complaints from Littermaid users in regards to the loud motor noise in comparison to the SmartScoop.
Warranty: The SmartScoop self-cleaning litter box comes with a 1 year warranty and comes with a 30 day money back guarantee. (Scroll down to get the 30 day money back guarantee and 1 year warranty)
SmartScoop Sizes: the smart scoop comes in 2 different sizes, it is best to evaluate the size for your cats size, and if you have multiple cats using the unit is it best to get the larger sized cat box.
1. Big – 18.25″ W X 7.5″ H inches
2. Regular – 25.5 x 16.8 x 7.5 inches
SmartScoop litter PROS and CONS Summary
√ I recommend the SmartScoop to:
- Suitable for all sized cats
- Low cost automatic cat trey solution.
X I don’t recommend the SmartScoop to:
- If your cat(s) suffer from urinating diseases such as diabetes or kidney diseases, this will cause your cats to urinate more.
- Cat owners looking for a fully automated system, there is some scraping and scooping required for this unit, if you are looking for a fully automated litter box solution check out the Litter Robot or the Catgenie.
- Cat owners looking for a cat pan that stands the test of time with out breaking down.
- Busy cat owners who are looking to rely on entirely on the system for long trips away from their pets.
My Final Conclusion
The SmartScoop is a good and affordable solution it does as advertised.
I would consider this type of unit but there were issues when the rake hits solid clumps and requires manual attention to dislodge any problematic clumps that sometimes may occur.
The SmartScoop Self cleaning litter box is not the best on the market however it is a great entry level solution.