Are you planning on taking your kitty on a trip or out with you? You might have to consider taking good care of your cat mainly because they don’t like traveling. In most instances, cats can get very stressed. But if it’s a one-way trip, you might not want to leave her behind. When you are visiting somewhere and will be back within a short time, we recommend leaving your cat at home. Cats always love the safety of their families, and they tend to dislike change. If you absolutely must travel with your cat, check out the best and most comfortable top loading cat carriers for you.
Why do you need Top Loading Cat carriers?
There are lots of reasons why you need top loading cat carriers. Convincing a cat to get into a carrier can be challenging, especially if your kitty is aggressive, suspicious of cages, crates, or carriers, or if the cat is anxious. Consequently, anything that makes it easy to scoop a cat up from the carrier is absolutely worth it. One way to ensure your cat is comfortable is to use Top loading cat carriers. These cat carriers are very affordable, popular, and very easy to use.
You need Top loading Cat carriers for vet visits. But in case the cat is in pain, two-door options prove to be better in a wide range of situations. Let’s take an in-depth look at the top loading cat carriers that you can buy today. We’ve listed the top picks to make it easy for you to jump directly on the link and buy your favorite fur friend a top carrier.
What is the Best Cat carriers with Top Opening
Are you now ready to buy a top loading cat carrier for your best friend, and the buying process is making your head tumble around? Here are some notable tips to make you feel less overwhelmed. We have gathered pro tips that are tried and tested to help you buy top-rated cat carriers with top loading. The mentioned Top loading cat carriers are currently trending in the marketplace with new features to make the cat comfortable as you move around.
Knowing which cat carrier to buy, especially when there are different types, can be difficult. Some of the cat carriers can get wet fast and are not very strong. Here are the crucial three points to consider when buying a top loading cat carrier.
- Size-Size is very important when buying a cat carrier. Depending on your cat’s size, the carrier should provide enough space. The kitty should be able to move freely in the carrier. It needs to be large enough, and the cat should be able to lie down comfortably and adjust the positions without any issues.
- Opening- we recommend buying cat carriers with top openings. This is because they are easy to use since you can lower the cat from the top. But this doesn’t mean front-loading carriers are not suitable. They have an option to remove the entire top section and get the cat in and out quickly.
- Ventilation-Ventilation is equally essential because the cat should get access to enough oxygen. The carrier should have large enough openings on at least two sides. This will make sure your cat does not suffocate or overheat.
- Seat Belt-Manufacturers have begun producing cat carriers with a seat belt fitting option. This will reduce instances of an accident and make the cat comfortable even when you are moving at high speed.
Petmate Two door Top Loading Cat Carrier
Is your cat anxious, aggressive, or difficult and giving you a hard time getting in a carrier? This durable plastic top-loading carrier will definitely suit you. This cat carrier has enough ventilation for adequate air circulation and a grated steel door. This pet carrier is suitable for all small pets, including dogs. It has a top entry door to access your cat inside. Although the Petmate Two door Top loading carrier is large enough for larger pets, it should only be used for small cats between 10-20 lbs. It measures 24” long and 15” high.
It is approved for air traveling because it meets all the airline cargo specifications. Many people love this cat carrier for its durability, ergonomic comfort, and affordability. It’s large enough to allow the cat to sleep inside comfortably and change positions.
- It’s easy to get your cat in and outside the carrier
- It’s comfortable on the hands
- It’s comfortable and allows enough space for your cat to enjoy
- Durable and strong
- Grated Steel doors for the cat to see out
- You can pick from a myriad of color options
- Top and bottom can be separated
- One-handed door opening
- Good airflow throughout the carrier.
- Not suitable for larger pets
The main reason why we like this top loading cat carrier is that it’s durable, comfortable, and pretty basic. It’s also affordable and very comfortable on the cat owner’s hands. It’s advised to add some blankets to the carrier’s bottom to make it more comfortable for the cat.
Petisfam Pet Carrier for Medium cats
This pet carrier uses anti-escape zippers, which makes it suitable for vet visits and rescue missions. It has a cat harness leash hook for additional security. This cat carrier measures 17”X 11”X11” and can carry pets of up to 7.3 Kgs or 16lbs. Above all, it is easy to carry and store, transport, and get the pet in and out of the pet carrier. Its carrying handles and adjustable shoulder straps make it one of the best choices for cat owners. It’s also collapsible and easy to store when not in use.
Petisfam Pet carrier has a 2-side opening and another opening on the top, making it ideal for transporting pets even in cars because of its seat belt attachment. Several airlines have already approved this pet carrier. Some of the airlines include Alaska, Virgin, United, and Jet Blue airlines.
Lastly, it has three mesh sides that allow good airflow and a comfortable Fleece for the cat to sit comfortably.
- The petisfam advantage: Created by...
- Escape-proof and easy to use. All...
- It's a piece of cake to get an...
- Easier and safer to transport your...
- Lightweight and easier to carry by...
Petisfam Pet carrier pros and cons
- It has anti-escape features
- Comfortable for medium-sized cats
- It has a beautiful design
- It is collapsible and hence easier to store
- It is approved by several airlines.
- Most users complain that Petisfam Pet carrier is smaller than they expected.
The verdict on this is that this cat carrier is suitable for medium-sized cats. We liked how versatile this cat carrier is and how practical it is for all your carrier needs. Travelling is made easy whether you are traveling by air or by road.
Petmate Two door top load 24 Inch Pet Kennel
Most people would prefer this pet carrier as a dog carrier, but it’s perfectly fine for carrying cats. It has a top entry door to make it easy for you to put the cat inside and get it out. It is perfect for small cats and dogs of between 10-20 lbs. It equally measures 24”X15”. If you’re planning to travel, this pet carrier meets all the cargo requirements of most airlines. It also has a durable and comfortable handle and ventilation on two sides for air circulations.
- PET CRATE FOR SMALL DOGS: This...
- AIR TRAVEL APPROVED: This pet...
- KENNELS & HOUSES: Crate & kennel...
- Petmate: For over 50 years, we at...
- JUST FOR PETS: Petmate makes a...
- It’s suitable for both cats and dogs
- It’s affordable
- Very comfortable
- Easy to put the cat in and get it out
- It’s manufactured by one of the best pet carrier manufacturers
- It’s approved for air travel.
- It’s not perfect for medium and larger pets.
Henkelion Cat Carriers Dog Carrier Pet Carrier for Small and medium cats
For pet parents on a strict budget, this is a very cheap yet suitable pet carrier for both cats and dogs. You can choose from the medium to large size and the different colors depending on your needs. Unlike some cat carriers, this one is approved by major airlines. It also comes with a safety design with an adjustable shoulder strap for hands-free carrying. Another added benefit is the fact that this Cat carrier is a waterproof and durable alternative to many others in the market. It is very portable and easy to clean.
- AIRLINE APPROVED CARRIER - With...
- SAFETY DESIGN - The adjustable...
- WATERPROOF & DURABLE - This cat...
- PORTABLE & WASHABLE - This dog...
- BOTH SIZES AND WEIGHTS - The mediun...
Pros and cons
- Good ventilation
- It’s waterproof
- Adjustable Straps for hands-free carrying
- Easy to carry and easy to put in the car
- It has a stylish design
- Cat is attached to the carrier
- The larger version of this carrier is not accepted for cats
- It’s not accepted by Southwest Airlines.
As one of the best-selling Cat carriers in the market today, you wouldn’t want to miss out on some of its features. But it’s important to check out some of the reviews before buying.
The Nicoichi Ultra-Light Portable Cat Carrier
This cat carrier is a lightweight and surprisingly reliable pet carrier. It’s available on Amazon at a very affordable price. When the budget is the primary concern, then this cat carrier will be at your service. Its made from sturdy fabric for durability and security. It’s one of the lightweight cat carriers you will find on the market today.
- Necoichi Portable Cat Carrier is...
- Sturdy fabric makes for durability...
- Lightweight construction for your...
- Durable up to 17 lbs. of pressure...
- Equipped with zipper lock ring for...
- It’s lightweight
- Suitable for small and medium-sized cats
- Folds flat for storage
- Comfortable carry handle
- Mesh side panels for ventilation
- It’s easy to carry
- It may not accommodate cats above 18 pounds.
Pet Magasin Soft sided cat Carrier
This cat carrier is made specifically for air travel. It has been approved by a couple of cat owners and airlines mainly because of its lightweight and waterproof. This will keep the cat safe, regardless of the situation. So, if you are traveling, consider this as a good alternative for your cats.
- MAJOR AIRLINE CARRY-ON APPROVED:...
- SAFETY FIRST: Constructed to keep...
- LIGHT WEIGHT & FASHIONABLE DESIGN:...
- EASY TO STORE & CLEAN: Folds flat...
- DURABLE & LONG-LASTING: Sturdy...
- It’s waterproof
- Good quality
- Durable construction
- Mesh sides for ventilation
- Adjustable shoulder straps
- Heavy duty handles
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Two years warranty
- Available in only two sizes
- Cannot carry pets above 20 pounds.
Sherpa Travel Original Deluxe Airline Approved Pet Carrier
If you have larger pets and are worried about finding a trustworthy top loading pet carrier for large cats, this one will be an excellent option for you. Firstly, the cat carrier is available in three size options making it perfect for larger and medium-sized cats. It’s specifically great for the people that want to travel in style. If you are traveling by car, you can adjust the carrier to conform to the seat requirements using the patented spring wireframe.
Another important feature is the locking zippers that allow more safety and ventilation. You will also find the luggage strap, which is another feature that will make it great to travel with. Most airlines have already approved this carrier for travel. Based on your pet size, you can choose the correct size. It is made to be safe and secure.
Plane travelers can push this carrier to fit underneath a plane seat. Additionally, you will find fiberglass support rods that most people prefer in retaining the carrier’s shape after it has been collapsed for storage. Unlike other pet carriers, this one doesn’t collapse in the bottom because of its stability board.
- Perfect for traveling in style and...
- Patented spring wire frame allows...
- Mesh windows for ventilation, top...
- Rear pocket for convenient storage...
- Approved for use on most airlines...
- Secure Zippers
- Accredited by major airlines
- Retains the shape after collapsing
- It has a very attractive shape
- Wide opening
- It may not be suitable for aggressive and nervous cats
This carrier is an excellent option for keeping an eye on your pet when visiting the vet or traveling the world. We were impressed by the simple and clear cut design of the black Sherpa.
AmazonBasics Two-door Top-Load Sided Pet Travel carrier
This carrier is a top-rated Cat carrier for long-distance travelers. It’s a basic and very affordable carrier if you prefer plastic carriers. The door opens to the left and the right making it easy to access the entry. It has a two-door, top-load model that allows cat owners an easy time loading the cats. The top door can be opened with ease if the need arises.
Another point is that it includes screws that can secure the top and bottom of the kennel. The manufacturers used durable plastics to make this carrier. Veterinarians have recommended it for small breeds such as Beagles and Boston Terriers.
You will love that the cat carrier makes it easy for you to load and get your cat off the carrier. The front door is a spring-loaded latch that prevents the cat from escaping. It facilitates good airflow inside the carrier.
- Two-door, top-load model allows for...
- Top door can open to the left or...
- Included screws can be used to...
- Made of durable plastic with a...
- Recommended for small breeds such...
- Its made with durable plastic
- Good ventilation
- Easy to load and offload the cat
- The top and bottom sections can be screwed together.
- It is not suitable for airplanes
- Some users complain that this carrier is coming out small than they expect.
If you need a solid carrier for your dog or cat, then this one is a perfect match. However, we didn’t like the fact that no airline has approved it by now.
Akinerri Airline Approved Pet Carriers
This pet carrier has received praise on Amazon for its affordability and features. It is one of the best cat carriers for air travel. If you think of travelling, you must ensure that the cat carrier is approved in your airline of choice. It currently retails at $23.99 on Amazon. It makes it easy for someone to get the cat in and out of the carrier.
- Dimensions: 17.5"L x 11"W x 11"H,...
- Easy to set up and fold down flat...
- Two entrances, easy to access....
- Travel carrier for medium cats and...
- Carrying handles and adjustable...
- It’s cheap
- Top loading
- Can accommodate medium-sized cats
- Top rated on Amazon
- It’s approved for air travel
- It’s not perfect for large cats
Zone Pet Airline Approved soft sides pet travel carrier for dogs and cats
This cat carrier is available in different options to make it easy for you to choose. It’s suitable for Medium-sized cats, large cats, and dogs. Most buyers on Amazon seem to be very satisfied with this, mostly because of the low cost and medium sizes. It is approved for air travel and will automatically fit under the plane seat.
- Medium Carrier Measures: 17.5” L...
- Fits for under-seat dimensions of...
- Mesh windows for ventilation, top...
- The pet carrier comes with a...
- Carrying handles, adjustable...
Pros and cons
- Airline approved
- Medium size for medium-sized pets
- Low cost
- Positive ratings on Amazon
- Perfect for both dogs and cats
- It may not be perfect for larger cats.
How to make a cat carrier a happy place for kitty
It’s very easy to make sure your cat is comfortable and enjoying the moments in a cat carrier. Here are some great tips to surely make your cat enjoy a cat carrier. It’s easy to change the cat’s association with the carrier any time of the day through these tips.
Buy the right carrier
Using the tips shared above, make sure you have invested in the right carrier for your cat. The carrier should be large enough and provide seamless air circulation. Choose a top loading carrier because it’s easy to get the cat in and out of the carrier. Make sure that the carrier is clean and sprayed. As a matter of fact, the scent of other cats can make your cat get stressed.
The carrier should be part of the furniture
Most people are used to hiding cat carriers in the closets or garage until they need to use them. This is not a good idea because the cat should get used to the carrier. Don’t treat cat carriers like holiday ornaments and instead carry the cats in a carrier from time to time.
Make the carrier a cool place for the cat to hang out
Another thing to do is ensure that the cat is comfortable and enjoying its time inside the carrier. Change the cat’s somber relationships with its carrier. On normal occasions, get the door off the carrier and allow the cat to play inside it. Line the bottom of the carrier with a towel.
Turn the carrier into a place she can play and sleep
Another important thing to do is to remove the carrier’s top cover and turn it into a good place where the cat can play. This will help change the cat’s perception of carriers.
Increase the amount of time your kitty stays in the carrier
After the cat accepts the carrier, it’s now the time to reinstall the door and manage the time she spends in the carrier. You can choose to give her snacks in the carrier from time to time. Work with your cat, and she’ll change gradually to like the carrier.
Do cats prefer Soft or Hard Carriers?
Both hard and soft carriers are good for cats, but hard carriers are easy to clean, they give the cat more room to turn around and a sense of security. Hard carriers are also more durable.
What are the safest cat carriers?
The best cat carrier should give the cat a sense of security and at the same time, make the cat comfortable and allow more room for turning. The picks above offer some of the best cat carriers in terms of security, size, and other features. Our top pick is Sherpa Travel Original Deluxe Airline Approved Pet carrier.
Are cat backpacks cruel?
No, Cat backpacks are not cruel as long as the cat is comfortable, safe, and enjoys being inside the backpack. Before carrying your pet in a cat backpack, it’s essential to train the cat on being comfortable inside a cat backpack.
How long can a cat stay inside a carrier?
Cats can stay in a carrier for up to 8 hours. How long a cat should remain in a carrier depends on a couple of things. Is the cat comfortable and enjoying being in a cat carrier? What is the health status of the cat? Depending on the situation at hand, some cats may need specialized care and breaks after every 2-3 hours.
Many pet carriers are popping up now and then. The above list contains some of the most popular, affordable, top-rated, and highly recommended pet carriers. In the process of getting a pet carrier, determine the size of your cat and find out whether it’s approved for the specific airline.